Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Language Freak Summer Challenge

As I had anticipated, 2013 is turning out to be much more busy than 2012 was, and I don't want to add to my mountainous TBR list.  But I love being connected to other readers, and therefore love a challenge I can participate in without doing anything I'm not already doing.  So here's another one:  Ekaterina at In My Book is hosting the Language Freak Summer Challenge.  We are asked to read one or more books in a foreign language during the summer: 

The idea is simple: read books in a foreign language, enjoy it and be proud of yourself! I will collect whatever you want to post about your experiences from now till the end of August and hopefully we will all have some progress in languages by the beginning of September!

Happily, I am reading in German pretty much all the time--not that I am fluent (if only!), but I'm trying to improve.  I'm not going to commit to more than one book, because I am very slow, and also because I'll be traveling for a good chunk of the summer.  Hopefully I'll get through two, though.  My current German read is Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen

Language Freak Summer Challenge

7 comments:

  1. Just signed up for the challenge. Feels good to have a bit of a head start....I'll just keep on reading as I have been for the last 10 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here--I'll keep doing what I'm doing, but now be able to connect with lots more people doing the same thing. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Amy, and welcome to the challenge! I admire your determination - if only I was reading in German all the time :)

    Reading Harry Potter in foreign languages is my good tradition. It's a perfect book to practice: you know the plot and therefore it's easier to understand, and the language itself if not difficult.

    I have subscribed to your blog and I'm anticipating your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like HP for that reason--it's so easy that I can figure out the meanings of most words from the context, and vocabulary is my biggest problem.

      BTW, I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but it wouldn't let me without creating a new identity in Google Plus, and giving my last name. Is that the only way I can comment?

      Delete
    2. Oh, I really have no idea... I've just switched to this mode recently, and I had no idea it would cause some problems with commenting... G+ is trying to enslave us :( I'll try to return to the old commenting mode. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
    3. Now that I try to switch it off it deletes half of the comments... crazy thing :( Never switch it on!

      Delete
    4. Oh no--sorry to cause you the trouble! (I'm following you now too.)

      Delete